Jan 3, 2011

My HardCORE Ab routine

One of my readers asked me about my ab routine the other day. The truth is that I rarely train my abs. I just happen to have some abs due to genetic coincidences and all the rock climbing I did in early years. My abs are still worked regularly in static movements such as chins, squats etc.

When I do work my abs, however, I usually work them in a combination of the following exercises:

Reverse crunches on a crunchboard : 10-15 reps/3 sets
Redcord crunches : 15-20 reps/3 sets
Kneeling cable crunches : 15-20 reps/3 sets
Bench crunches : 20-30 reps/3 sets

I love the reverse crunches because of the intenseness of the exercise and the easy way of adjusting the resistance from easy to certain death (try the 80 degrees board with ankleweights and send me a video. I'll post it here on my blog) Remember that the abdominal part of the exercise is the rounding of the back, not the hipjoint movement. I also like the intensity of the redcord crunches. Roll up as tight as you can get and straighten out in a controlled manner. The kneeling cable crunches is my favorite exercises to better isolate the abs. Just squeeze and try to make every single repetition as intense as possible. Believe me, when you get familiar with the exercises, you will feel the burn.

Below is a short video of me doing highreps on these exercises. What is your favorite ab exercise? Leave a comment and I'll try it myself :-)

11 comments:

  1. MISC REPRESENTIN!


    ALL HAIL PLYOOOOOOOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. GEEE THATS A REALLY NICE GYM

    I NORMALLY DO AB CRUNCHES ON THE PILATES BALL, DO 100 ALL AT ONE GO 5 TIMES A WEEK, IT'S WORKS FOR ME BECAUSE I HAVE A LOW BODYFAT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah it's a nice gym! 100 on a pilates ball is quite good though. With abs it is so individual what works. You have found something that works for you! Stick to it but adding some variation doesn't hurt ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. im 12 and wat is this. gjdm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That series of exercises should definitely tone the abs

    ReplyDelete
  6. a knockout post her response why not look here webpage company website Related Site

    ReplyDelete